Saturday, April 30, 2011

An owl's versatile toe can move backwards and forwards

The wonderfully gorgeous Skip at Skippedydoodah tagged me with a versatility award, diolch Skip! (That's me showing my language versatility, innit). In googling versatility (not because I don't know what it means, but just to find something interesting to use as the title for this blog post), I found the above quote. And looked no further, because what could be better than the versatility of an owl's toe?


So I have to share 7 things about myself then pass the baton on to some more deserving peeps.

So, hmmm.

1. I love horses. I realised the other day, at a babywearing picnic where the subject suddenly turned to horses, and lots of the ladies there had horses or loved horses or take their children riding, that I don't think I talk enough about them as people don't seem to know this about me. I grew up totally and utterly horse-mad. My bedroom had not a single inch of wall visible - it was all covered with pictures of horses, all my shelves had model horse toys on them, and my bedroom floor was a complex stable yard made up of cardboard box stables bedded down with sawdust and with teeny haynets made from those little nets you get chocolate coins at Christmas in. It drove my mother batty. I worked 5 jobs throughout my teen years to pay for my 2 ponies. I was heartbroken when I had to leave my horse when I came away to University, and again when my sister didn't have time for her a couple of years later and she was sold. Riding is too expensive, and it makes me sad that I can't do it any more. But when I can't sleep, I have an imaginary house with 2 stables outside, and I can go and see my horses there. Because that's the kind of nut-job I am.

2. My first doll was called Batty. I was given her when my sister was born, and I remember it perfectly. She was a Tiny Tears, and I loved her with all my heart. My mum tried to persuade me to change her name to Patty. But no, I was adamant she was called Batty, and so she remained. 2 days ago, I found her in a bag in the loft, and brought her down for J-cub. He took one look at her and shouted "No baby! Jacob baby!" and threw her on the floor. J-cub likes pretending to be my baby at the moment, and no-one else can get close.

3. There's a fairly common dessert, which begins with a P and consists of lots of little round things, which I can't bear to see or hear the name of. I can't look at them, I can't smell them, and if someone mentions them I think I'm going to be sick. That's enough of that.

4. I have had at least 20 jobs. Let's see. Babysitter, cleaner (houses), cleaner (holiday homes), dog-walker, riding instructor, waitress, play-worker, catering assistant, silver-service waitress, cloakroom attendant, barmaid, nightclub door money-taker person, credit controller, billing analyst, customer service rep, receptionist, Yellow Pages deliverer, electronic note taker, support worker, braille translator, DJ, teaching assistant, and behavioural therapist. That's 23. Well done me for being fickle.

5. I was 11 miles away from the epicentre of the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco when I was 10 years old. I have never experienced anything more frightening, and can clearly remember every second, plus the 12 hours or so afterwards while my Dad drove us as far and as fast away as he could.

6. I love going out and doing exciting things with my little family, but I get more excited about coming home and looking at the photographs I've taken. I'm not really sure what that says about me.

7. And since it was Skip that tagged me, I'm sure she won't mind me pinching one of her's, since I had the exact same thing happen to me. Here's Skip's 4th thing:

#4 – For years I pronounced “foliage” as “foilage”. I finally realised when I had to read aloud in my A-LEVEL English Literature class and it came up several times in one passage, to the accompaniment of the hysterical laughter of the other students. I was 17. It was bad, seeing as I am meant to be a writer.

And mine - for years I pronounced "inevitable" as "ineh-vit-able". I finally realised when I had to read aloud in my A-level Biology class and it came up once in the first paragraph, to the accompaniment of the hysterical laughter of the other students. I was 17. It was bad, because I already felt pretty stupid around all the Doctors-to-be who were in my class, and I still dwell on it every time I come across the damn word, 14 years later.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So thanks for that last one Skip, and for the tag. As Crush would say in Finding Nemo, "Noggins, Dude".

And noggins go to the following...

Rhian at Working Mum - amazing Mammi and awesome friend who copes admirably well with everything life chucks at her. I <3 you Rhian ;)

Emily at The Tangled Yarn - musician, smallholding creator and lovely new Mum.

and Issi at Peekaboo Me! - cos it might just remind her that it's *whisper* almost a year since her last blogpost, and I miss her writing! No guilt trip at all, just <3 to you issi ;) x

No comments:

Followers