Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Series of Unexpected Events

Really, this post isn't going to be as exciting as it sounds.  We haven't been on any unexpected adventures today - the furthest I went was to school to pick J up and back.  Even then, I didn't get out the car; instead I stayed in the warm with girlface while Jamie went to pick up boyface.

It just occurred to me that with her ladyship turning 7 weeks old tomorrow, a lot of things haven't exactly gone as planned, but they've ended up pretty awesome, regardless.

  1. I didn't expect to go overdue.  Let alone 12 days overdue.  That was fun.
  2. I didn't expect to have another long birth.  Let alone a 40-hour one.  Everyone says second labours are faster, so I thought this one would fly by.  My midwife said I'm just designed to have breech babies and long labours.  She also said I had my boy and my girl now, and that was enough for anyone.  What does she know eh*?
  3. I didn't expect J to be a pro at breastfeeding.  I count every day as a massive achievement - even though it's really been pretty struggle free.  In fact, I can recall two incidences where I thought to myself: "Blimey, I wish we had some formula".  Even then, I don't think I would have used it, had it been there.
  4. I didn't expect to not use a sling until she was 9 days old - I went a bit mad on preparing my new-baby stash but haven't used it half as much as I'd anticipated.  She likes sleeping in her basket, or in her bouncy chair.  Or on her Daddy.  I go for the easiest option, and if I don't have to walk around the house sweating (post-partum hot flushes, lovely), then I'm not going to.
  5. I didn't expect to get to nearly 7 weeks and still be in disposable nappies.  But people keep giving us free ones and it's just so much easier.  We did have a nappy emergency today, and even then I didn't find myself reaching for a reusable (although I did try her in one afterwards), but instead I whipped a muslin up into a makeshift nappy and secured it with a freezer-bag clip.  Ever resourceful, me.
  6. I didn't expect her to be such a Daddy's girl.  She follows his voice around, and would rather cuddle and smile at him than anyone else.
  7. I didn't expect to look at her and melt, each and every time.  She's incredible.

Check out the adoring gaze and the makeshift nappy.


*Really though, we're done**.
**But you can never expect the unexpected.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

In gentle exercise news, I decluttered the lounge and put away the new Christmas toys/crap.  It was quite labour intensive, so that'll do me.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Hey, where've you gone? Hope it's just lovely baby-fog and that all's well..

Beth said...

I am here! Sorry, had a difficult few days and lost my head for a moment. Normal service shall resume shortly ;)

Followers