Really, this post isn't going to be as exciting as it sounds. We haven't been on any unexpected adventures today - the furthest I went was to school to pick Jacob up and back. Even then, I didn't get out the car; instead I stayed in the warm with girlface while Jamie went to pick up boyface.
It just occurred to me that with her ladyship turning 7 weeks old tomorrow, a lot of things haven't exactly gone as planned, but they've ended up pretty awesome, regardless.
- I didn't expect to go overdue. Let alone 12 days overdue. That was fun.
- I didn't expect to have another long birth. Let alone a 40-hour one. Everyone says second labours are faster, so I thought this one would fly by. My midwife said I'm just designed to have breech babies and long labours. She also said I had my boy and my girl now, and that was enough for anyone. What does she know eh*?
- I didn't expect Josie to be a pro at breastfeeding. I count every day as a massive achievement - even though it's really been pretty struggle free. In fact, I can recall two incidences where I thought to myself: "Blimey, I wish we had some formula". Even then, I don't think I would have used it, had it been there.
- I didn't expect to not use a sling until she was 9 days old - I went a bit mad on preparing my new-baby stash but haven't used it half as much as I'd anticipated. She likes sleeping in her basket, or in her bouncy chair. Or on her Daddy. I go for the easiest option, and if I don't have to walk around the house sweating (post-partum hot flushes, lovely), then I'm not going to.
- I didn't expect to get to nearly 7 weeks and still be in disposable nappies. But people keep giving us free ones and it's just so much easier. We did have a nappy emergency today, and even then I didn't find myself reaching for a reusable (although I did try her in one afterwards), but instead I whipped a muslin up into a makeshift nappy and secured it with a freezer-bag clip. Ever resourceful, me.
- I didn't expect her to be such a Daddy's girl. She follows his voice around, and would rather cuddle and smile at him than anyone else.
- I didn't expect to look at her and melt, each and every time. She's incredible.
Check out the adoring gaze and the makeshift nappy.
*Really though, we're done**.
**But you can never expect the unexpected.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
In gentle exercise news, I decluttered the lounge and put away the new Christmas toys/crap. It was quite labour intensive, so that'll do me.