Saturday, January 5, 2013

Guilty

We meant to go out for a walk today, but we didn't get back from Tesco until mid-afternoon (Jamie works Saturday mornings) and it would have been dark by 4.30 and I needed a cup of coffee.  And we hadn't had lunch.  Then we were going to go for a night-time walk with J's torch (£3 torch = hands down best Christmas present.  He would have been happy with this and only this.), but he spent 2 hours eating his dinner so that was out too.

Tescoing, and slinging, that's at least a little bit of exercise right there, yes?

And now it's nearly 10pm, and Jamie has gone for a run (oooh, get him), and I'm sitting here trying hard not to think about the apple crumble shortbread in the kitchen.

I'm not feeling guilty about it, I'm going to watch one of my guilty pleasures instead: Girls of the Playboy Mansion.  Feeding a baby night and day (a baby who can't be fed in bed due to aforementioned projectile vomiting issues - I'm not going to be scrubbing milk out of my mattress every day) means watching a whole lot of telly (well it does for me, I'm sure I could do something more useful with my time, but I'm not going to).  I've learnt when all the good stuff is on, and persuaded J that feeding = Mummy's turn with the remote.  And whilst I like all kinds of serious, funny, good and clever telly shows, I also like to watch a whole lot of crap.  In no particular order, my recent (guilty) delights include:


  • Friends (obviously, and only because Jamie makes me feel guilty about it)
  • America's Next Top Model
  • Hawaii Five-O
  • Girls of the Playboy Mansion
  • 15/16/17/18 Kids and Counting
  • Dog the Bounty Hunter
  • Homes under the Hammer (but really, who doesn't?)
  • Traffic Cops
  • Dawson's Creek
  • Little House on the Prairie


I've watched GOTPM (there's a clunky acronym, if there ever was one) for years, and whilst it should be the type of thing I utterly abhor, I've fallen in love with Holly, Kendra and Bridget and feel fully invested in their lives.  The last episode was on the other night and now it's started again from the beginning, and I'm enjoying it just as much.  I'm not going to apologise for this ;)

Hawaii Five-O is a recent addition to the list, which my sister-in-law introduced me to just after J was born.  It's been repeated in the mornings while big J is at school, and it's great.  It's funny, and cheesy, and fast-paced, and neatly wrapped up in 42 minutes.  I love it.

So not exactly top-notch viewing, but they all make me happy, and I'd rather watch one of them than something that requires concentrating and paying-attention-to, which might be difficult when I get distracted thinking how utterly delicious my daughter's cheeks are or look down to see her smiling up at me.

;)

Guilty pleasures are far more pleasurable than normal stuff.  Which is why I'd rather read a pony book that I've read a thousand times since I was nine, instead of one of the books I got given for Christmas.  I'll get round to them in due course, but right now I'm reading "I wanted a pony" and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

And I won't mention that Jamie, despite his intellectual, bookish, oooh-look-at-me-I-got-a-First persona, enjoys, and even records, Jeremy Kyle.  I therefore think I win.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I linked over to Jamie's blog from one of your earlier posts - he is very talented, but I mostly loved his sense of humour and the fact that I linked over to his blog has just made this post of yours so much more amusing to me. I just cannot believe that Jamie watches Jeremy Kyle, that is worse than any of your guilty pleasures!

Beth said...

He's going to kill me for posting that! We'll have to see whether he actually reads my blog or not, eh, to see if he mentions it :D

Rachel said...

Allan doesn't read mine very often. I actually put a shortcut to it on his phone the other day to try to get him to read it. This is a good test. So Jamie are you reading this? :D

Isadori said...

Oooh, I love Homes Under the Hammer!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on successfully wrestling the remote from a preschooler. How do you do that?!
My #1 fave when Roo was a baby was "Project Catwalk". I wish it was on now!

Beth said...

I think because she latched badly on one of her early feeds, which left me in a lot of pain until that nipple healed, and so I needed the distraction of TV to cope with the pain. So we laid down the law, feeding = leave Mummy alone and let her watch what she wants. And it's just stuck. He gets to watch what he wants at other times (not all the time, I hasten to add!) so it all evens out ;)

Jamie Woods '77 said...

Yep. I love jezza Kyle. Aspirational and affirmative television. I don't have a problem with that ;)

Followers